Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:13:42 -0400

    the order of the
    directories in the search path might have nothing to do with dir files,

I wasn't proposing using the search path (PATH).  I was proposing the
dir path (INFOPATH / Info-directory-list).

    So we could be left with a wrong section.

By `section' do you mean dircategory?  If so, dir entries in different
categories always have to be included in the merge.  At least I was
taking that as a given.

Thus:
1) if direntry A has the same (filename)nodename as direntry B,
2) and A and B have the same dircategory,
3) then include whichever of A and B belongs to the dir file earlier in
   the dir path.

I don't think any real information can be lost by this algorithm, all
the same entries will end up in the merged dir file, all the same info
files can be reached.  The only change will be the elimination of
(some) duplicates, as far as I can see.

Thanks,