Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:13:42 -0400

    /usr/share/info, I think -- it (1) makes sense [info files are `shareable']
    (2) is what debian and other gnu/linux systems seem to use.

Sorry, but I don't understand what we are discussing.

Surely the value for infodir should be the same in the emacs
distribution as it is in every other distribution -- namely
$(datarootdir)/info (or $(prefix)/info until datarootdir makes it into
autoconf).  And the default prefix should presumably be /usr/local for
emacs as it is for everything else.

Hopefully no one is really proposing hardwiring infodir as
/usr/share/info?!  Or making the default prefix be /usr?  That makes no
sense to me.

    If we want /usr/share/info ...

Why would we want this?  I am baffled.  What problem are we trying to
solve?  As far as I can see, everyone is happy already.  Packagers can
get what they want now (by setting prefix=/usr), so they are happy.  And
individual sysadmins can get what they want (by leaving prefix alone or
setting it to whatever their local site convention is), so they are
happy.

Am I missing something?