Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 10:41:52 -0400

>     Would you like to develop a standard list of dircategory values?
>
> Oh, I've been doing that since day 1, but that has little effect on what
> people actually do in their texinfo files.  I write to various
> maintainers about it when I have a chance, and they are usually
> receptive, but it's a big job.

How about changing makeinfo to complain when the specified dircategory
is not among the few standard ones ?
BTW, looking at the TeXinfo doc I have it says:

  Here are some recommended address@hidden' categories:

     GNU packages
     GNU programming tools
     GNU programming documentation
     GNU Emacs Lisp
     GNU libraries
     Linux
     TeX
     Individual utilities

I suggest we change `Linux' to `GNU/Linux' and change `GNU Emacs Lisp'
to `GNU Emacs' (or maybe `Emacs' which is what Emacs uses).
Also I don't understand the difference between
`GNU programming tools' and `GNU programming documentation'.

        Stefan