Re: scrolling images?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: scrolling images?
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 23:02:45 +0100

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I guess we need to have commands that can scroll through images.
>>> Really C-v ought to do it.  This relates to one of the items
>>> in etc/TO-DO.
>
> Concerning image handling items in the TODO file are rather sparse.
>
>> I fear that's too complicate for me.  I'll ask around on gnu.emacs.help;
>> maybe, somebody else already wrote appropriate commands.
>
> Thus far nobody could offer help.
>
>> Another possibility could be to take over code pieces from Gnus'
>> attachment handling.
>
> Gnus seems to lack the wanted features as well.

The Emacs mail client VM (http://www.wonderworks.com/vm/) divides images
into strips to allow scrolling. From the documentation of
vm-mime-use-image-strips:

    *Non-nil means chop an image into horizontal strip for display. Emacs
    treats a displayed image as a single large character and cannot scroll
    vertically within an image. To work around this limitation VM can
    display an image as a series of contiguous horizontal strips that
    Emacs' scrolling routines can better handle. To do this VM needs to
    have the ImageMagick programs 'convert' and 'identify' installed;
    `vm-imagemagick-convert-program' and `vm-imagemagick-identify-program
    must point to them.

    A nil value means VM should display images without cutting them into
    strips.

Does that sound like it would be of use?