Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 00:07:08 -0400

        Would you like to develop a standard list of dircategory values?

    Oh, I've been doing that since day 1, but that has little effect on what
    people actually do in their texinfo files.

Where is this list?  If the GNU Project releases it and publicizes
it as a standard, that might have some effect.

    How about changing makeinfo to complain when the specified dircategory
    is not among the few standard ones ?

For that to be reasonable, our list would have to be thoroughly
complete.  It seems unlikely a priori that we could make a list
that people never need to extend.  I think we should first try
putting

      Here are some recommended address@hidden' categories:

         GNU packages
         GNU programming tools
         GNU programming documentation
         GNU Emacs Lisp
         GNU libraries

Those don't seem like useful categories.  Useful categories relate to
jobs the user wants to find out how to do.

         Linux

It may be that "Linux" is a useful category, but if we recommend
it, we should recommend it for a specific purpose, the kernel.

Even if we do recommend it for that, we take the risk that people
will misunderstand it and misuse it.

    I suggest we change `Linux' to `GNU/Linux'

GNU/Linux appears to be a useless category.  On a GNU/Linux system,
"GNU/Linux" as a category is equivalent to "everything".