Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:05:30 +0200

> This means that on a system which comes with an Info directory
> in /usr/info, our packages will by default not install into that
> directory.

As Karl Berry explained: that's a feature.  I don't want my own info
files end up in /usr; my local stuff belongs to /usr/local -- stuff
provided by the system belongs to /usr.  Thus using

    $(datadir)/info

is the solution (instead of the current default $(prefix)/info ).

> I think that is somewhat of a problem.

The "real" problem is, Emacs resp. info (the binary) will collaps
/usr/share/info/dir and /usr/local/share/info/dir into one and the same
TOC _unconditionally_.  Thus I cannot view the Emacs manual coming with
the system (21.2) and the one I installed on my own (21.3.50 in
/usr/local/...) at the same time easily.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o