Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]
Date: 04 Oct 2002 23:38:46 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I.e. for the same reason that unify-8859-on-encoding-mode has no reason
> to ever be turned off, translation of CJK into utf-8 upon encoding should
> never be turned off either.

Note that you could be talking up to ~40k slots in each of two hash
tables, even if data for constructing them is ephemeral.  I think
that's the only reason people might not want it.

[I haven't checked how much of the space could reasonably be filled
from the Mule 5 charsets, but there's a lot of chinese-cns11643, for
instance.]