Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:51:51 -0400

    Here is an idea: follow the categories of the Free Software Directory.

    What do you think of that idea?  You won't have to make a table
    of your own.

I think that's a fine idea in principle, and I'll change the Texinfo
manual to recommend this.  Thanks.

Did you have in mind using just the top level categories, or categories
at any level?  It almost would seem that we want to replicate that whole
structure in the dir file, but dir files aren't set up to allow such a
thing right now.

BTW, browsing around http://www.gnu.org/directory/, I am pretty baffled
by some of the categorizations.  I would have never have guess that diff
would be under "word processing", for example (although I can see why in
retrospect, using an unusual definition of the phrase).

Also, basic programs like cp/ls/mv fit are not listed except under `All
GNU Packages'.  Seems like there should be a category for ... what
... File Manipulation?  And it almost seems to me like `Miscellaneous'
should not exist -- it's against the principle of organizing packages
usefully in the first place.

At any rate, it will still take a lot more time than I can commit to
find where existing manuals fit into those categories, contact manual
authors, get them to make the changes, etc.  Perhaps someone out there
would like to volunteer.