Re: [patch] cache color info for remote X sessions [Was: Emacs 21/X11 ge

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [patch] cache color info for remote X sessions [Was: Emacs 21/X11 generating unbelieveable network traffic]
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:07:17 -0400

> > For AllocColor ?
> > How come ?  Can't Emacs dealloc the color and re-allocate it again and
> > get a different result (because the color cell was allocated to some other
> > color in the mean time) ?
>
> In principle, yes.  But if Emacs runs on the default visual, it uses the
> default colormap, otherwise, it creates its own.  It would not be nice
> by an application to change the default colormap or one created by Emacs.
>
> It can happen, but I consider that a bug in the application that does
> such a thing.

My "default" colormap has never behaved in that way.  It just contains
whichever colors have been requested by applications, i.e. it is changed
by applications like ExMH, Netscape, Emacs, ...

> > As someone whose colormap is full about 95% of the time, I can
> > assure you that tose things happen ;-)
>
> What should happen is that when the colormap is full, a new one is
> created and then the window manager switches colormap depending on
> which application has the focus.

I hate colormap switching.  I much prefer what happens with Emacs:
when XAllocColor fails, Emacs looks for the nearest color in the map
and uses it.  After all I generally don't care that much about the
exact color.

        Stefan