Re: How is the 21.2.90 pretest going?

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: How is the 21.2.90 pretest going?
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:43:09 +0200

rms:
> What is the bug in define-minor-mode in RC?

Handa's mail explains it:

> workaround.  I've just installed it in RC.
>
> 2002-10-08  Kenichi Handa  <address@hidden>
>
>       * international/ucs-tables.el (unify-8859-on-encoding-mode): Set
>       :init-value to nil, and calls (unify-8859-on-encoding-mode 1)
>       later.
>
> One bad result is that, the customize buffer of this
> variable says as this:
>
> Unify 8859 On Encoding Mode: Hide Toggle  on (non-nil)
>    State: this option has been changed outside the customize buffer.
>
> And, if you click "Erase Customization", the value is reset
> to nil.
>
> Once it is decided that this variable is removed and we
> always enable unify-8859-on-encoding, this problem
> disappears.  It disappears also when define-minor-mode or
> eval-after-load is fixed in RC.

Francesco Potortì:
>     Probably define-minor-mode should be fixed in RC before releasing 21.3.
>     I found the following files mentioning a problem with that:
>      image-file.el
>      jka-compr.el
>      minibuf-eldef.el
>      mwheel.el
>      recentf.el

In those file I can read a comment like this:
 ;;; Note this definition must be at the end of the file, because
 ;;; `define-minor-mode' actually calls the mode-function if the
 ;;; associated variable is non-nil, which requires that all needed
 ;;; functions be already defined.  [This is arguably a bug in d-m-m]
 ;;;###autoload
 (define-minor-mode auto-image-file-mode

This is not the same problem as described by Handa, but it seems to be
related.  Sorry for not being more precise, but the inners of
make-minor-mode are at the edge of my elisp literacy, and I would need a
deeper study to understand it completely.

Here is a more complete description of the issue from a previous mail of
Handa's: