Re: address@hidden: Re: A new pretest]

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: A new pretest]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:20:50 +0200 (MEST)

> Can someone investigate this X bug in the RC branch?

I don't have any access to Solaris 9, but one can speculate.
It sounds like Emacs is on another screen or visual.  I assume you
have set DISPLAY correctly (i.e. other apps work).

Can you try specifying visual to Emacs?  First do:
% xdpyinfo

and you will get some info (you can mail the output here).
 The first line is the DISPLAY value to use, recheck this just to be sure:
name of display:    :0.0

Then there are a list of visuals, like this:
  number of visuals:    2
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Try each visual in turn by doing (see above, class-depth):
% emacs -xrm '*VisualClass: TrueColor-24'

and see if any of them give something useful.

Also, if you can, try running the same Emacs binary on another display
if you can.  For example, start X on a different machine, log in remotely
to the machine with problems, and run Emacs with DISPLAY set to the
first machine.  Does this give a working Emacs?

        Jan D.