Re: TODO additions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:07:06 -0400

> * Provide a means to display a background image in a window [miles
>   started on this?] and extract image-relative coordinates from mouse
>   clicks on images.  (Both needed for W3.)  Also useful for W3 and Gnus:
>   allow scrolling images properly.

I couldn't care less about background images (my browser config
explicitly disrergards background settings), but image scrolling is
important and deserves its own TODO entry.

> * Convert the XPM bitmaps to PPM, replace the PBMs with them and scrap
>   the XPMs so that the colour versions work generally.  (Requires care
>   with the colour used for the transparent regions.)

It seems more energy is spent on this list talking about such a thing
than doing it.  I sadly have no experience with such things at all,
so I wouldn't even know what to look for.

> * Allow displaying an X window from an external program in a buffer,
>   e.g. to render graphics from Java applets.  [gerd and/or wmperry
>   thought this was feasible.]

XEmacs allows something very similar, where a glyph can be any widget from
the underlying toolkit (that's how they added progress-meters).

> * Do something to make rms happy with fx's dynamic loading, and use it
>   to implement things like auto-loaded buffer parsers and database
>   access in cases which need more than Lisp.

What exactly is Richard unhappy about ?  I thought it was the fact
that it allows dynamic linking with non-GPL libraries, right ?
If so, what can we do (apart from trying to convince Richard otherwise) ?

> * Provide portable undumping using mmap (per gerd design).  [unexec
>   _is_ a major headache.]

Grepping emacs-devel for dump or pdump or portable dump or something
like that should get you to an article posted by a guy who said he
was working on exactly that.  Haven't heard much more about it, tho.

I generally agree with the rest, of course.
Please add it to etc/TODO.

        Stefan