Re: my Emacs is broken

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: my Emacs is broken
Date: 21 Oct 2002 15:30:55 +0200

    Richard> Karl Zeitler said that this change was necessary to fix a problem
    Richard> for him on Solaris.  If it causes some other problem, I could
    Richard> remove the change, but that would bring back the problem he
    Richard> fixed.  It would be better if we could fix both problems.
    Richard> However, only Solaris users can figure out what is really right
    Richard> to do.

    Richard> From: Markus Rost <address@hidden>
    Richard> To: address@hidden
    Richard> Subject: my Emacs is broken
    Richard>
    Richard> My Emacs is broken:  It starts an X window, but that is blank and
    Richard> does not react to any input.  This is in
    Richard>
    Richard> In GNU Emacs ---current CVS--- (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
    Richard>
    Richard> I guess this problem is related with this change:
    Richard>
    Richard> 2002-08-17  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>
    Richard>
    Richard>    * s/sol2-5.h (BROKEN_SIGIO): Add #undef.

When I set the DISPLAY variable to 0:0 I get the same result as Markus
and David Koppelman. If the DISPLAY variable is either set to `X-hostname`:0.0
(that's what I always use) or localhost:0.0 (as long as we're on the X-server),
than everything's fine. David Koppelman just sent me email that it also
works for him when the DISPLAY var is set properly.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
Real programmers don't comment their code.  It was
hard to write, it should be hard to understand.