Re: VC, read-only buffers for writable files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC, read-only buffers for writable files
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:39:40 -0400

>     Currently VC sometimes makes a file read-only because it thinks it's
                                     ^^^^
Sorry that should have been `buffer'.

>     better that way for the user.  More specifically, it makes it read-only
>     if the file seems to be locked by another user.
>
> Under RCS, the file is read-only whenever the file is not locked by you.
> I think that is the right way to handle it.

If the file is indeed read-only, then everything works as expected,
but the VC code also tries to make the buffer read-only when the file
is locked by someone else and yet is writable.  This can happen either
because the user is using group-permissions in unusual ways or because
VC is confused and doesn't realize the the current user and the user
holding the lock are one and the same.

        Stefan