Re: checkdoc (was: mh-e 6.2 imminent)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: checkdoc (was: mh-e 6.2 imminent)
Date: 24 Oct 2002 13:13:11 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

re. removing check for -flag, count me in!

> > [I have my own agendas of course -- I'd like to make checkdoc complain
> > if people use a `-p' suffix for variables, or a `-face' suffix for
> > faces...]
>
> Agreed for the `-p'.  For `-face', I'm still not sure either way.

Well, I agree with Miles that formally, the -face suffix is redundant
since faces have their own namespace.

However, when you want to customize a group, I think having the face
suffix makes a big difference to the user.

E.g. try customize-group on ido; there you will see the following
headings to customize ido's faces:

        Ido First Match Face: (sample) [Show Face]

        Ido Only Match Face: (sample) [Show Face]

        Ido Subdir Face: (sample) [Show Face]

        Ido Indicator Face: (sample) [Show Face]

which I definitely prefer to

        Ido First Match: (sample) [Show Face]

        Ido Only Match: (sample) [Show Face]

        Ido Subdir: (sample) [Show Face]

        Ido Indicator: (sample) [Show Face]

Also, for code maintenance, I personally think having the -face suffix
on faces makes the code easier to read!

So in my option -face suffix is preferable, and I would actually
argue in favour of _recommending_ using it (which most lisp
packages seem to do anyway)!