Re: checkdoc (was: mh-e 6.2 imminent)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: checkdoc (was: mh-e 6.2 imminent)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:45:51 -0400

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 01:13:11PM +0200, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> However, when you want to customize a group, I think having the face
> suffix makes a big difference to the user.
>
> E.g. try customize-group on ido; there you will see the following
> headings to customize ido's faces:
>
>       Ido First Match Face: (sample) [Show Face]
>
> which I definitely prefer to
>
>       Ido First Match: (sample) [Show Face]

Have you tried it with a non `-face' face?  Customize-face will automatically
put in a `face:' after the name to make it more clear.

> So in my option -face suffix is preferable, and I would actually
> argue in favour of _recommending_ using it (which most lisp
> packages seem to do anyway)!

No, it's probably more about half and half.  In particular, the `base' faces
(those defined in faces.el) don't use it.

As far as I can figure, the use of `-face' results from people confusing
faces with variables that point to faces; it seems that the latter used to
be more common than they are now (e.g. the variables and faces used by
font-lock).

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.