Re: VC, read-only buffers for writable files

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC, read-only buffers for writable files
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:54:17 -0400

    Sorry that should have been `buffer'.

    >     better that way for the user.  More specifically, it makes it
read-only
    >     if the file seems to be locked by another user.
    >
    > Under RCS, the file is read-only whenever the file is not locked by you.
    > I think that is the right way to handle it.

I also meant `buffer'.

    If the file is indeed read-only, then everything works as expected,
    but the VC code also tries to make the buffer read-only when the file
    is locked by someone else and yet is writable.

I think that is correct--and useful.  If VC is mistaken, you can use
C-x C-q to make the buffer writable.