Re: suggested new command `picture-mouse-set-point'

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: suggested new command `picture-mouse-set-point'
Date: 24 Oct 2002 23:42:33 +0200

address@hidden (John Paul Wallington) writes:

> >Here is the code I've written to do this:
> >
> > (defun mouse-set-point-rigidly (event)
>
> Cool.  Any ideas how to better integrate it?  For example, it would
> be nice if `mouse-drag-region' would call it instead of
> `mouse-set-point'; presently, the cursor will "bounce".
>
> Maybe there could be a `mouse-set-point-function' variable that would
> be funcalled where `mouse-set-point' is presently called directly, or
> `mouse-set-point' could call `mouse-set-point-rigidly' iff
> `mouse-set-point-rigidly' variable was non-nil, or something like
> that?

It seems ok to control this behaviuor through a variable, but should it
be a customization option, or just intended for e.g. let bindings or
buffer-local (or mode-specific) setting?

One problem with this approach is that quite often you just need to
click on some window to select another window or give focus to a frame
-- and in that case you most likely don't want to modify the buffer if
you accidentally click or a TAB or after EOL or EOB.

Maybe the -rigidly functionality should only be activated if
the mouse is clicked in the selected window & frame.