Re: Mouse highlighting occurs only after movements

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Mouse highlighting occurs only after movements
Date: 27 Oct 2002 01:16:00 +0200

>     Had this in Gnus: if the mouse pointer is in a screen position where
>     mouse highlighting would occur when the Gnus Summary buffer gets
>     updated after a Gnus command, after the update the line which happened
>     to pop up with the mouse highlit area right under the mouse pointer is
>     not getting the mouse highlighting (only after the mouse pointer
>     moves).
>
> I seem to recall adding a feature like that.
> People asked for it.

Yes, I changed it so that setting `mouse-highlight' to 1 causes the
mouse highlight to be shown only after actually moving the mouse.

>       The crazy thing is that if the cursor is blinking in the
>     should-be-highlighted-but-is-not-yet area, it is blinking in green,
>     while the rest of the line still looks ordinary B&W.
>
> I wonder if the code that redisplays the cursor checks the properties
> rather than the status of mouse highlighting.  Can someone check that?

It seems that if you place the mouse over a mouse sensitive area
(which then gets highlighted), you then move the cursor (so the
highlight disappears), and then moves the cursor into the mouse
sensitive area, the characters that you move over gets highlighed with
the mouse-highlight face.  The blinking cursor anomaly is a special
case of this...

I don't think it a big issue though; it only happens when the cursor
is moved with the keyboard into a mouse-sensitive area which the mouse
happens to be hoovering over.

Anyway, it is definitely an error in my original implementation --
I'll see if I can find a suitable fix...