Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:53:18 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It was decided to include Url as part of Emacs and it seems that the
>> best way to do that as far as moving/including the files is concerned
>> is to create symlink in subversions's emacs/lisp directory.
>> More specifically, something like the following:
>>
>>    ln -s /cvsroot/url/url/lisp /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/url
>>
>> Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
>> is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
>
> A better way of doing this is module import. Unfortunately I'm not sure
> whether the savannah cvs aliasing system allows for module import between
> CVS repositories. I guess a symlink from client to provider repository
> might work.

Do you mean editing the CVSROOT/modules file in the Emacs CVS repository?
I don't think that you can specify a different repository as a source
there.

There is also a danger that you won't get appropriate changelog messages in
one or the other repositories.  Currently the URL library keeps all of the
ChangeLog entries in .../url/ChangeLog (instead of having a separate one in
lisp, texi, etc).  If someone makes an edit in Emacs' version of the
repository, the changelog will end up going in ../ChangeLog, etc.  Is this
a big deal?  Should I move the lisp-related changelog entries into
lisp/ChangeLog?

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam