Re: address@hidden: Re: privateColormap X resource]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: privateColormap X resource]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:17:24 -0500

    But a long time ago Gerd said (while tracking down a
    color-reference-count-overflow bug in XFree triggered by Emacs):

    > In the course of cleaning up the color code a bit, I'm now setting the
    > XtNcolormap resource of the shell widget.  I think the menu bar should
    > inherit that colormap.  An easy way to check this if it does is to run
    > Emacs with a private colormap.  Just add the resource
    >
    >   Emacs.privateColormap: true

Could you spell out for me how this relates to the issue?  I don't
know these aspects of X well enough to figure out the connection.
I don't even know enough to understand this:

    > Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
    > works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
    > I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
    > but maybe some of you know.

    This suggestion won't work because Emacs (rightly so from my point of
    view) does not automatically switch to a private colormap when it
    runs out of colors.

What does it mean to say this "won't work"?  It was only meant to test
whether a certain X resource has a real effect.  It "works" if it
provides a valid answer to the question.  Are you saying that the test
won't proviude valid information about that question?