Re: Performance 21.3.50 W2K

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Performance 21.3.50 W2K
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:21:36 +0300

> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:32:13 UT
> From: "Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <address@hidden>
>
>  I tried opening a 58Mb file (Yes, I know it was a stupid thing to do) in
>  Emacs. It just froze for couple of minutes (2 to 3 mins) and opened the
>  file. What surprises me is, the same file when I open in XEmacs (latest
>  beta), it took less than 5 seconds. I see a very big performance
>  difference in this regard.

Perhaps your XEmacs was built without Mule.  In that case, "M-x
find-file-literally" instead of "C-x C-f" should be as fast as XEmacs.

The reason for this performance hit is that "C-x C-f" by default tries
to detect whether the file has encoded non-ASCII characters, and if
so, decodes them into internal representation used for non-ASCII
characters within Emacs buffers.  XEmacs compiled without Mule doesn't
do that, so visiting a large file is faster.