Re: Isearch setting of inhibit-point-motion-hooks too inflexible

From: Gregor Schmid
Subject: Re: Isearch setting of inhibit-point-motion-hooks too inflexible
Date: 31 Oct 2002 09:23:49 +0100

Dear Richard, dear Stefan,

>     Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't
>     (make-local-variable 'isearch-inhibit-point-motion-hooks)
>     solve this if some mode needs a non-default behavior?
>
> If a particular major mode wants a non-default behavior, this would
> do it.  But these features are not always major modes.  Can we use
> an overlay property to make the decision?

Possibly. But consider Stefan's comment:

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> Since this thing is used by isearch in order to look inside
> intangible text, I think it should simply be removed:
> isearch should *not* look inside intangible text.
>
> As we have discussed in this group at length, `intangible' is a very
> strong statement and has far reaching implications.  It should be
> used very sparingly.

My favourite soultion would also be to simply remove any manipulation
of inhibit-point-motion-hooks from isearch-search.

If you decide to leave it in and make it more flexible than with my
suggested patch, e.g. thorugh overlays, please also add a simple
option that just requires setting some variable, so as to keep the
simple case simple. Whatever the solution, anything will be better
than the current totally inflexible scheme.

Thanks for addressing this issue, best regards,
    Greg

--
Gregor Schmid                           address@hidden
Quality First Software GmbH                http://www.qfs.de