Re: TODO additions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: 31 Oct 2002 18:12:38 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> I think Dave mentioned that background images could be a way to
> implement image maps which seems to be a good idea.

That would require a `document anchored' background image, which is
hard to do (I explained why in a recent post on this same thread).

Anyway, why not just use a normal image for this, since that's what
most web browsers do for image-maps?

> One could draw pictures and put annotations on top of them with
> text.  I think it would be useful to do something like this in word
> processing style applications.

Again this would probably run afoul of the `document anchored' image
restriction, though I admit it would be kinda cool.

Hmm, maybe there's some cheezy heuristic which would get the average
case mostly right.  E.g., just use the line count [is this available to
redisplay if mode-line line-numbers are turned on?] and multiply by the
default face's height.  It'd be wrong for some cases, but it would
usually result in coherent display behavior (the image would scroll in
unison with the text ... most of the time).

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche