Documentation Question

From: Andrew Trevors
Subject: Documentation Question
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:43:40 -0500

Sorry to post a non-development question here but I figured that this mailing
list would have the answers I need.  I am a graduate
student at a university in Ontario, Canada.  I am taking part in the teaching
of a course on Software Architecture.  We will be
using GNU Emacs as a guinea pig this coming semester (we've used Linux, Vim,
Apache, Mozilla, Nautilus, PostgreSQL, mySQL, and a
wealth of other open source software).  The idea is to study the architecture
(high level components, e.g. subsystems, and their
interactions) of a real system by first formulating a conceptual architecture
(the as-designed view as the developers see it) and
then extracting a concrete architecture (the as-implemented view) and then
comparing them, and suggesting ways to repair the
architecture (the two should be the same, but they are often not).

Now, why I've posted this here is that I haven't had much luck finding any
design type documentation that could be used to formulate
a conceptual architecture.  Is there any sort of docs or anything that is used
to teach new programmers to the project, or is this
type of thing usually up to the programmer himself by reading through
code/comments.

Thanks for any help you can give me.  If I have offended or annoyed anybody by
posting here, I apoligize and I'm sorry.

Andrew

Andrew Trevors BCS (UNB) MMath I
Graduate Student, Software Architecture Group
School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo