Re: Status of shell-pcomplete integration?

From: Romain FRANCOISE
Subject: Re: Status of shell-pcomplete integration?
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:23:07 +0100

Kai Großjohann writes:

> What's the problem with the following?

> (require 'shell)
> (define-key shell-mode-map (kbd "TAB") 'pcomplete)
> (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'pcomplete-shell-setup)

> It seems to work.  It does not defer loading of pcomplete until
> completion is actually used, but oh, well.

Provided you set pcomplete-cycle-completions to nil, it indeed seems to
work fine, with a few quirks:

- it doesn't complete filenames or directories containing spaces, even
  if you escape them with backslashes.  (With the completion cycling
  turned on, it works)

- it doesn't complete environment variables, e.g.

        $ cd $HOME/foo<TAB>

  will not complete to

        $ cd $HOME/foobar

  but I think this is supposed to work with pcomplete, maybe John will
  know how to fix it.

        Romain.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <address@hidden> | They're nothing but scared