Re: makeinfo-info.el - use Info-mode with makeinfo-buffer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: makeinfo-info.el - use Info-mode with makeinfo-buffer
Date: 04 Dec 2002 15:35:12 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Ediff has some functionality like this -- it `refines' thunks it gets
> > from diff by doing its own diff algorithm at the character level, and
> > can indicate via faces which parts of thunks are important.
>
> IIRC, Ediff does this at the _word_ level, not at the character level.

A bit of testing shows that you're right.

> The only problem with this solution is that breaking a line into a list
> of words is non-trivial due to m17n considerations, especially if the
> buffer mixes several character sets.  IIRC, for that reason, Ediff uses
> some ad-hoc method instead of relying on syntax categories of characters.

That's OK; for the purpose Richard was asking about, the main thing is
that it ignores (or rather, de-emphasizes) whitespace-only changes,
which should work fine even if word-splitting isn't exactly `correct.'

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research