gdba probs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: gdba probs
Date: 05 Dec 2002 15:19:53 +0900

Seeing the recent activity on `gdba', I decided to check it out, and got
bunches of errors.  The gdb command line I used was this:

   kgdb -annotate=2 $lkb/as85ep1-rom/linux

[kgdb is just a symbolic link to `v850e-elf-gdb']

It initially divided the frame into 6 (!) windows, most of which I
don't want; is there a way to customize which windows it uses?

I think ideally, certain windows would only show up if they had
contents.  Note that most GUI debuggers I've used only display the
source-code window and command windows by default; you have to
explicitly pop up windows to show registers/breakpoints/stack/etc
(though once they're popped up, the debugger keeps them updated).

Here's the *gdb-linux* buffer's contents:

   Current directory is /proj/soft2/uclinux/uclinux/build/as85ep1-rom/
   GNU gdb 4.18-v850ice-000414-nmit-20010327
   Type "show copying" to see the conditions.  This version of GDB is supported
   for customers of Cygnus Solutions.  Type "show warranty" for details.
   This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --target=v850e-elf"...
   warning: Target may not support unknown architecture

   Connected to the simulator.
   Breakpoint 1 at 0x80
   Breakpoint 2 at 0x4b0
   Start address 0x480
   Transfer rate: 6634656 bits in <1 sec.
   (gdb) break *_start
   Breakpoint 3 at 0x480
   (gdb) run
   Starting program: /proj/soft2/uclinux/uclinux/build/as85ep1-rom/linux
     C-c C-cQuit
   (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) fr
   #0  0x480 in _start ()
   (gdb) fr
   #0  0x480 in _start ()
   (gdb) si

It seemed to hang despite the fist break point, which is why I hit `C-c C-c'.

At that point, it also popped up _another_ window in its own frame,
called `*display 1*'; I have no idea what the purpose of this is...

I got various lisp errors too; here's the contents of my *Messages*
buffer:

   Followed link to /proj/soft2/uclinux/uclinux/uClinux-2.4.x/init/main.c
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set [3 times]
   error in process filter: progn: Search failed: "in\\s-+\\S-+\\s-+at\\s-+"
   error in process filter: Search failed: "in\\s-+\\S-+\\s-+at\\s-+"
   Mark set [2 times]
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set [3 times]
   error in process filter: progn: Search failed: "in\\s-+\\S-+\\s-+at\\s-+"
   error in process filter: Search failed: "in\\s-+\\S-+\\s-+at\\s-+"
   error in process filter: not: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
   error in process filter: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
   error in process filter: cond: Phase error in gdb-prompt (got emacs)
   error in process filter: Phase error in gdb-prompt (got emacs)
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set [4 times]
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set [3 times]
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set
   Replaced 0 occurrences
   Mark set [2 times]
   error in process filter: not: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
   error in process filter: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
   error in process filter: cond: Phase error in gdb-prompt (got emacs)
   error in process filter: Phase error in gdb-prompt (got emacs)

BTW, note all the spurious `Mark set' and `Replaced 0 occurrences'
messages (I never set the mark or did any replacing) -- it looks like
some lisp code is using the `replace-string' function when it shouldn't
(generally lisp code shouldn't use it at all).

Hmmm, is there anything I can do to provide more useful bug reports?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that