Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:20:01 +0530

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:28:56 +0000 (GMT), address@hidden said:
> >  I was looking in to the "etc/PROBLEMS" file and I am refering to the
> >  following problem.
> > * Building Emacs over NFS fails with ``Text file busy''.
> [snip]
> > Maybe we could modify the "etc/PROBLEMS" file to reflect this result.
>
> I don't see anything that needs changing. The PROBLEMS entry already
> starts with "This was reported to happen when building Emacs on a
> GNU/Linux system (RedHat Linux 6.2) using a build directory
> automounted from Solaris (SunOS 5.6) file server, but it might not
> be limited to that configuration alone."

Sorry about the wrong info: I was looking at this from "etc/PROBLEM":

* Emacs binary is not in executable format, and cannot be run.

This was reported to happen when Emacs is built in a directory mounted
via NFS.  Usually, the file `emacs' produced in these cases is full of
binary null characters, and the `file' utility says:

    emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators

We don't know what exactly causes this failure.  A work-around is to
build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.

with regards,
dhruva
--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy