Re: specific coloring of diary calendar entries

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: specific coloring of diary calendar entries
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:39:14 -0500

    That might be more useful indeed, but I personally don't see using such an
    extended system.  The calendar display is too crowded for underlines,
    italics, boldface, or different fonts to be useful in quick visual
    recognition.  If someone else wants such a feature and wants to code it, of
    course, I would have no objection.  Such  a system would obviously obviate
    the need for my patches.

I think it would be a simple extension of your patches--so why not do
it?  You just have to allow a simple name with no colon and treat it
as a symbol which is a syntactic category.  Some property of the symbol
can specify the face property to use for display.

Even if people use only colors, it would still be cleaner to specify
them with syntactic categories rather than putting the colors directly
into the diary files.  The categories may someday be useful for other
purposes.  And they allow the priority handling that I suggested
when one date has two events.

Would you give it a try?