Re: Gtk patch version 2, part 1

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gtk patch version 2, part 1
Date: 17 Dec 2002 11:03:35 +0900

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
> Here is the diff for modified files for the GTK port.  New files are posted
> separately.  I hope this diff makes it without corruption this time.

Ah, this time, the patch applied perfectly, and everything
configured/compiled without problem.  It also seems to work. "-'

> Scrollbar problems is fixed, although some borderline cases look strange
> (but they also look strange with Motif).

Scrollbars seem to still be incorrect in one case: when the buffer is
zero-length.  In this case, the scroll-bar thumb should cover the whole
bar, but emacs-gtk displays a `tiny' thumb, as used when the document
is very large.

I also notice that scrollbars flicker _a lot_, to the extent that it's
pretty annoying.  This happens even if you just move the cursor around
within the screen (so that no redraw should be necessary), but only when
it moves to a new line, e.g., if you just repeat `C-n C-p C-n C-p ...'
it will flicker for each command.

Also, menu display seems noticably slower than with `lucid toolkit'
menus, but that may be just GTK being slow (or some sort of intentional
delay).

Otherwise, it's looking good!

I still don't want to use it for everyday use, because the menu bar is
too big and ugly, but that's partially Gnome/GTK's fault -- it only
seems to have _one_ font you can specify, which gets used for everything
(and I want to keep the large font for my `panel' text)!

Hopefully a future version of emacs-gtk will allow overriding some of
the horrid GTK defaults...  I'd like, at least:  (1) menu font, and
(2) some way to reduce the gratuitous whitespace used around menu-bar
labels (there are at least two whitespace areas -- the whitespace which
is `part of' the menu-label-button, and additional whitespace around
that; I'd like to reduce the second to zero).

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page