Re: silly face function names

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: silly face function names
Date: 20 Dec 2002 11:53:25 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> There are a number of face manipulation functions in faces.el of the
> form `set-face-FOO-p'.  I think such names are misleading, since they use
> the -p prefix on functions which aren't predicates.

The names are badly chosen (having both 'set-' and '-p' is confusing),
but if you read the names like this, it does make sense:

        set-face - FOO-p

I would argue that 'set-' takes precedence over '-p' here...

> Any objections to me renaming them to just `set-face-FOO', and adding
> aliases (and make-obolete) for the old names?

IMHO, there is an abundance of silly functions and commands in
faces.el; I don't see any reason to rename a few of them (which are
rarely used anyway - I found only 5 places total).

So I object.