Re: signal handling bogosities

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: signal handling bogosities
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 21:27:52 -0500

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 12:12:24PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I am surprised that the signal handler does face realization.  I would
> have expected redisplay ought to do that job.  When the signal handler
> runs, it should just look up the data that was computed by redisplay.

The mouse-face is merged with whatever underlying faces are in the buffer in
the highlighted region, so you can't just have one precomputed mouse-face.

I suppose you could have redisplay notice which regions might be highlighted,
and pre-cache the corresponding mouse-face/buffer-face combination so that it
doesn't happen at highlighting time, but I don't know how easy this would be
(and if the face cache gets flushed at the wrong toime, you have a problem!).

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?