Re: info

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: info
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:59:23 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   Any of these three might be good.

Then I propose to go for solution 1.

That would be the same as the stand-alone behavior (as Eli proposed
earlier), up to the error message.

It would only select a menu item if point is on the same line as the
menu item.

If point is not on such a line and not on a cross-reference, it would
print the error message:
"Point not on reference and no menu item on this line"
(or similar), making it completely clear that just being on a
continuation line is not considered sufficient.

I believe the current stand-alone error message is unclear:
"No cross references in this node."

I could implement the above if one wanted me to do that.  (I guess
that the stand-alone version is too different from the Emacs version
to just copy the code up to the error message, or not?  Even the names
of the functions seem completely different.  Adapting the current
Emacs function seems relatively straightforward.)

   Another idea is that any blank line ends the menu item.
   That would do the right thing in the examples you showed me,
   and it may well be that there are no blank lines in the middle
   of single menu items.

That is essentially the algorithm Kai proposed.

As mentioned, I indeed know of no examples where this malfunctions.
However, Eli seems to feel very uncomfortable about the possibility of
there actually being such examples.  I would not be surprised either.
If any file uses an indentation style that defeats this, then things
could get very bad within that file.

In terms of implementation, it is just a few more lines of code than
the first solution, so that is not the problem.

Sincerely,

Luc.