Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:11:14 -0600

>     However, if movemail only needs (and allows) two strategies normally,
>     and if adding support for liblockfile to that set then covers all the
>     relevant cases, then we should be OK.
>
> I think so.

It looks like the two existing movemail strategies are
MAIL_USE_SYSTEM_LOCK and MAIL_USE_MAILLOCK.  Presuming that's correct,
then we have to decide how to handle liblockfile.

In addition to the thread-safe, lower-level locking functions like
lockfile_create, liblockfile also provides maillock and touchlock
convenience functions, so if we're on a system that has both libmail
and liblockfile, which do we choose?  Unless we were going to do
something like runtime dynamic linking, we'll have to link against one
lib or the other at build time.  I don't really have any idea how
often this might be an issue.  The way the code is arranged in Debian,
liblockfile is always preferred if found...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu