Re: Can we add a check to see if user is using old or obsolete code?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Can we add a check to see if user is using old or obsolete code?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:29:24 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Now, emacs 21.4 includes a newer version of CUA-mode, and the old
> version actually doesn't work very well with 21.4 (due to changes in
> the way the key-translation-map works).  So if a user upgrade from,
> say, 21.2 with the old version of cua.el in the load-path to release
> 21.4, CUA-mode will appear to be broken, but there is no indication
> that anything is wrong.

Actually, list-load-path-shadows is executed when you install Emacs.

But I think the output gets lost in lots of other output, so it
doesn't help that much.

IMHO it would be useful to make that output more prominent.

Doesn't Emacs include a versioned site-lisp directory in the
load-path by default?  So the installation instructions could suggest
to use that for such cases.  But it could be that the directory is in
load-path only for versions > 21.3.