Re: tar-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tar-mode
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 03:53:27 -0500

> I still don't understand the necessity of the helper buffer.
> When tar-mode is called, usually the current buffer is
> unibyte, so there's no need of moving the contents to
> another buffer.  Instead, it creates a buffer for table of
> contents, setup that buffer, then switch to that buffer.

How are you going to "switch to that buffer" ?
Can you really expect that none of the callers have done some
kind of save-current-buffer ?

Hmm...looking at the code, it does seem like there really isn't
any save-current-buffer interfering.  Can we rely on that ?
Should we document it ?
It's rather unusual for a major-mode function to switch the
current buffer.

        Stefan