Re: Various simple.el patches

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Various simple.el patches
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:24:04 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> The following version of kill-whole-line should work OK with the
> kill-ring, including read-only buffers, and with invisible text.

Nice.  The invisible text becomes visible again.  But that's the same
with C-k.  I presume it's intended to behave like this.

When hitting C-u -2 S-<backspace>, do people expect to kill the current
line, plus the previous line?  Or do people expect to delete the
previous two lines, excluding the current line?

The first would be similar to C-e C-u -1 C-k.
The second would be similar to C-a C-u -2 C-k.

I tend towards the first behavior.

It's interesting that C-k with a negative arg kills more than a C-k
with a positive arg.  If I'm in the middle of a line and do C-u 1 C-k,
then I'll kill half a line.  But if I do C-u -1 C-k, then I'll kill
one-and-a-half lines!  This is quite unexpected.

C-k is similar to C-@ C-e C-w.
C-u 1 C-k is similar to C-@ C-e C-f C-w.

C-u 0 C-k is similar to C-@ C-a C-w.
By analogy, I'd expect C-u -1 C-k to be similar to C-@ C-a C-b C-w.