Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: 31 May 2003 22:19:47 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:04:56AM +0200, Lars Hansen wrote:

> > I do not argue that we should implement MS Windows-like
> > keybindings. I just argue that it should be easyer to change key
> > bindings.
>
> Ok, maybe I misread your post.  What exactly are you arguing for?
> Do you mean there should be a nicer user interface for users to edit
> their personal keybindings?

`Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.

`I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so I can't
 take more.'

`You mean you can't take less,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to
 take more than nothing.'

Uh, we don't _have_ a user interface for users to edit their personal
keybindings, nice or not.  We have a programmer interface.  While you
nay call global-set-key interactively, it is nowhere in the menus, and
of course any binding you make with it does not survive into the next
session.  And yes I know about repeat-complex-command and
cut-and-paste from the minibuffer, but that is not really a user
interface.

A user interface is something like click with right mouse key on any
menu entry and get a small submenu
Bind-to-key locally
Bind-to-key globally
Save Keybinding
Add function to menu

Oh, of course, manipulating the menu entries with mouse clicks would
probably be appreciated, too.