Re: Major update just committed

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Major update just committed
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:24:53 +0200

On Sat, 31 May 2003 15:52:12 -0400, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> We should think of what will be the next non-bug-fix release
> as the main focus of work, so it should be in the trunk.  It will need
> a considerable amount of work to become reliable, I expect.

That will mean that

 - either big new features are commited against the emacs-unicode branch

 - or (at least) one new branch is created for big new features

In the first case, the gap between the emacs-unicode branch and the
trunk will widen still more; the joining back it's going to be painful,
I think.

In the second one, two or more branches with posibly big changes will
have to be integrated back to the trunk in the future. Not pretty either.

Anyway, if that's what we're going to do, OK. But then, as Stefan and
Jason say, I think the trunk should be mostly frozen. Every "smaller
feature" commited against it puts the release farther and farther away.

My .02€, of course.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u