Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: 01 Jun 2003 16:26:05 -0400

   It sounds like you're concerned with a very different kind of
   question from the one I had in mind.

it is different in some ways and alike in some ways.  whether or not
that passes the "very" threshold is a matter of interpretation.  no
worries, emacs' interpreter can handle it all. ;->

   I am not sure what the issue is regarding hs-headline, but I get
   the impression you are considering an issue of preferences between
   two possible ways a feature could work.  For that kind of case, we
   usually just take a poll.

whatever you call it, when a programmer asks a question (any question)
of me as a user about a program, i consider it a poll.  if the question
is hidden or put forth in a sneaky way, i wonder why it couldn't be
asked openly, since i am very pleased to give feedback in that scenario.

because i don't know the all details of a program, i make a distinction
between questions that are indirect and those that are sneaky, not
minding the former so much as the latter.  all these are considerations
are present when i think about things from the programmer pov, to figure
how to best ask a question (any question) of a person like myself, to
preserve relations.

in another post you said people will correct others' misperceptions.
that's fine, too.  perhaps we will need to FAQify those corrections.

thi