Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:38:18 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

       (info "<node name>") is a better way than using `g' since the
       `somebody' can just click on it (or hit C-x C-e).

That is, assuming the `somebody' receives mail in an emacs buffer.
In general, I would not consider M-: (info "<node name>") to be more
convenient or intuitive than C-h i g <node-name>.

But, your question was:

   How many users currently actively use node names ?  From what I can
   tell, these seem to be mostly used internally, much like URLs in
   HTML.

(info "<node-name>") uses a node name just as actively as g, or not?
The point I am trying to make is that it is useful for an Info user to
know the concept of a node name, it is not something of purely
internal importance.  This does not mean that it is the first thing a
beginning Info user should worry about.  It does also not necessarily
mean that node names should be displayed in menus, that is a separate
question.

Sincerely,

Luc.