RE: FW: shell: cd after &

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: FW: shell: cd after &
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:42:29 +0100

You can always do M-x dirs RET to resync emacs' idea of the directory
stack.

It might be useful to add a selectable feature whereby emacs does a
(dirs) after each (comint-send-input).  You'd want to turn it off if you
did ftp or something from the *shell*.  I remember implementing
something like that many years ago, but decided it would be too annoying
to put in shell.el.  Nothing is going to be infallible.

As the shell.el comment says, "The solution is to relax, not stress out
about it, and settle for a hack that works pretty well in typical
circumstances."