Re: malloc and alignment

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: malloc and alignment
Date: 16 Jun 2003 17:15:54 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to try and get rid of the markbit on Lisp_Object values.
> The idea is to scrape off a few more bits (I'd like to bump maxint
> to 512MB instead of 128MB).  And I'd also like to represent floats
> in 8bytes rather than 12.

If you are scraping off bits, why not instead _add_ one, but reserve
_all_ the additional tag values gained in that way for representing
integers?

Something like "tag byte values of 0 to 127 all represent integers,
tag byte values from 128 to 256 represent all other data types".

That way integers would go up to 1GB without pain.