Re: cua: quiet warning messages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cua: quiet warning messages
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:01:20 -0400

    > Note that _any_ symbol other than `nil' or `-' should turn the mode
    > _on_.  `toggle' is a symbol, it is not `nil' and not `-'.

    That's also how define-minor-mode behaves.

I don't think so.  This code

         ;; Use `toggle' rather than (if ,mode 0 1) so that using
         ;; repeat-command still does the toggling correctly.
         (interactive (list (or current-prefix-arg 'toggle)))
         (setq ,mode
               (cond
                ((eq arg 'toggle) (not ,mode))

seems to handling `toggle' by toggling the mode,
not by turning it off, which the spec says it should do.

    The warning is thus there so that when it ends up turning the mode
    OFF, it tells the user that it might not be doing what the
    user expected.  If the user (or author) really meant to turn the
    mode off, she should pass a -1 argument to make it clear that
    she knows what she's doing.

You are right, and yet it is also true that this contradicts the
spec.

The spec is not cast in stone; we might want to change it.  But
changes in such a general and basic spec should be thought about as
such, and I don't think they have been.

Can I have your comments and proposals for what to do?