RE: Anyone built Emacs with gcc-3.3?

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: Anyone built Emacs with gcc-3.3?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:18:10 +0100

> >     Yes, Emacs works with 3.2.3.  With 3.3 it dumps core on
> C-x C-c in
> >     __do_global_dtors_aux() after Fkill_emacs() calls exit().
> >
> > I have a hunch that relates to unexec.  Perhaps unexec fails to
> > preserve some of the data that __do_global_dtors_aux uses.
> >
> > Debugging the details is the only way to proceed.

The guys who first raised it on bugzilla had the same hunch.  The
problem is: where do I start?  I can't debug in __do_global_dtors_aux()
as there is no debugging info.  Do I have to build libgcc.a with
debugging (or whatever it is that supplied __do_global_dtors_aux())?

> Someone else reported yesterday that a recent version of ld from
> binutils has changed the position of some of the data segments in ELF
> executables, causing problems with unexec. I think it is worth
> investigating if this is really the cause of the gcc 3.3
> problems, as it
> could save a lot of debugging.

Thanks, though in my case I am using Sun as & ld (unless gcc comes with
a binutils ld and is quietly using it).