Re: Apropos scoring

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Apropos scoring
Date: 13 Jul 2003 02:55:38 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> If I am allowed to dream, the best would be to always have scoring,
> but to allow for sorting the output in different ways.  Sort by score
> and sort by name would be the two obvious sorting methods.

I can see that Richard has installed my patch, but at the same time
modified the meaning of apropos-show-scores to also mean "sort by
scores".  I do not object to that coupling as such, but I think the
variable is named wrong with the new meaning.

Since apropos scoring is new in 21.4, I think we can just change the
name of that variable.

I think a better name would be apropos-list-ordering with options
nil (lexical), t (scoring), 'show (scoring, show scores).

WDYT?

BTW, the new entry added to NEWS about the recent change should be
rewritten to describe apropos scoring in general (I'm sorry I forgot
to add one when I originally introduced scoring).