Re: A plea for dynamically loadable extension modules

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A plea for dynamically loadable extension modules
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:20:24 -0400

    So, as far as Emacs is linked with X (by regarding X library
    as something fundamental one as libc), it's impossible to
    guarantee the above condition.

I think that dynamic linking of these plug-ins that are meant
for use with X does not entail any violation of the GPL,
because these plug-ins do not relate specifically to Emacs
in any way.

If the plug-in relates specifically to Emacs, then our position
is that it constitutes an Emacs extension and has to be covered
by the GPL.  However, it would be nice not to have to go to court
about that, and if we don't have dynamic linking then we won't
have to.