Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.
Date: 11 Aug 2003 08:04:27 +0200

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:09:24 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> In as far as an option to automatically display the help-echo text on
> "point-over" is concerned, I told Eli, who suggested the same thing,
> this morning that it would be a good idea, but after actually
> implementing it, I completely changed my mind.  I found all that text
> popping up in the echo area very distracting.  Most of it was of the
> "mouse-2: do something you do not want to do" type.

Why is this distracting?  A user who turns such a feature on must be
knowing what they are doing.  For example, I assume a blind person
_wants_ this info to be spelled by the speech synthesizer; otherwise,
how would she know about these properties sitting around the text?

(I assume that your implementation waits for some amount of time
before it displays the text in the echo area, so the text is shown
only if one dwells long enough on the text covered by the property.)