Re: Info menus on text-mode terminals

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info menus on text-mode terminals
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:21:55 -0500 (CDT)

Eli Zarestkii wrote:

   Here's one example, indented by my by 4 characters (I also
   capitalized the menu entry name, since in Emacs it stands out in
   color):

       * SEQUENCES ARRAYS Vectors Lists, strings and vectors are called
sequences.
        Certain functions act on any kind of sequence.
        The description of vectors is here as well.

I do not see this.  With:

emacs-21.3.50 -q --eval \"(blink-cursor-mode 0)\" &

and then:

C-h i m Elisp RET

I get:

* Sequences Arrays Vectors  Lists, strings and vectors are called sequences.
                          Certain functions act on any kind of sequence.
                          The description of vectors is here as well.

and with `Info-hide-note-references' set to nil I get:

* Sequences Arrays Vectors::  Lists, strings and vectors are called sequences.
                                Certain functions act on any kind of sequence.
                                The description of vectors is here as well.

both of which look reasonable to me.  The only reason for the:

--eval \"(blink-cursor-mode 0)\"

is that I can not stand blinking cursors, not even for short periods
of time.  Are you getting the effect you describe using emacs -q?  Or
are you seeing the same I am seeing, but copied it indented
differently in your mail buffer?  In that case, I personally believe
that aligning things further to the right (than in the two examples I
showed, certainly the second) would look ugly for longer descriptions
and make Info menus more difficult to use, because of the (in my
opinion) needless increase in vertical space used up by the
description.

Sincerely,

Luc.